Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October




When things slow down in Prosser, WA, they SLOOOOOOOOW down. After our last large group earlier this month, work at the park has become preparing for next year. Lots of cleaning out of cubbies and corners, rewriting a procedure manual and trying to figure out how to make 7 year old software do what we want it to without the help of those who once knew how to do it.

It's also been a time of picking which battles are the important ones and which are just people things to let go. Those of you who know me well enough also know that especially in fall and winter I have trouble with fragrance sensitivities. This year is no exception and as a result regular participation in certain activities at church won't be on my dance card once again. I tried, I really did. But if singing is your thing but being in close quarters with those who like to add that little bit of femininity causes your throat to close and trigger a migraine, it is time to concede. Unfortunately such activities are good to add in if you also deal with brain chemistry issues.

Most of you know that many in my family have and do deal with brain chemistry issues. There is a genetic predisposition toward them. If you've followed my blog in the past you know that I chose to deal with this condition through nutrition and lifestyle changes when the use of prescription meds not only didn't work but made things worse. For two years I've done very well. This fall, with the change in climate, it has been more difficult. Many individuals experience a downturn in the fall and winter months. It is called Seasonal Affect Disorder, or SAD and is a result of the longer darker days. The tendency is to withdraw and eat a diet much higher in carbs which then triggers other issues. For the most part this is why I haven't been writing. I try not to share much of what is in my head when in the throes of the dark times. It is not very uplifting for others. You read more about SAD here: Seasonal Affect Disorder

What else? Hmmmmm. Miss T lived to see her first birthday. It was questionable the day I came home and found two hard back library books in silver dollar sized pieces all over the floor. She had never been much of a chewer on things other than her toys, so I didn't replace her crate when she out grew it. Things went really well until about three weeks ago. She now has a new bigger crate. In talking with a family member we can only conclude that at about this age they get more teeth. Her dog at the X Box controller at about the same age. If we were on the road the bigger crate would be a real problem, but for now it works. However it is the folding kind which will make it easier if she still needs it when we do go back on the road.

On a lighter note. . . I'm looking forward to a road trip to the other side of the state for Thanksgiving. My three grands here in Prosser will be going with me to spend time with the three in Port Orchard. Part of the trip may include a ferry ride to Seattle to watch Madison's HS band play in the Day After Thanksgiving Macy's Day parade.

Other good news. I already know my schedule for next season. I'll be working Mondays and Tuesdays leaving the rest of the week free. This will give me more freedom for short jaunts and letterboxing events.

Oh yeh... Why the apples? It is harvest time in Washington. The grape crush is over but the apples are coming in. Rather than let the over abundance spoil, some of the farmers give it away at church. I'm learning to make apple butter in a restricted kitchen. It's not the prettiest apple butter you've ever seen, but it sure tastes good.

Now here's a chuckle for you. Picture 70 pound puppy doing crazy Ivans and chasing her tail in a motorhome living area. Yep.... that's what she is doing.

4 comments:

  1. hope your health improves. Interesting you put up the apples today...I was up out at the fruit stand this morning getting a bushel box of Jonathans just shipped in from Utah. They don't grow good, crisp apples here, it's too warm. These are the best appels I've had in years. And I come to your blog today and see exactly the same view that's in my box...a ton of beautiful, frest, crisp Jonathan apples...the best apple in the world, imho.

    Romana

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you posted an update, my friend. Hang in there with the dark days ahead. I have been taking extra vitamin D and that seems to be helping some - last winter almost did me in.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be in AZ this winter? We'll be down for a week over New Year's again. Sounds like you could use some sunshine and warm tempertures. I know I could after this cold dreary October!!

    Wisconsin Hiker

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother in law (also in Oregon) also struggles with SAD. He takes meds and they seem to work well for him. Occasionally, they head south for a camping trip in the CA desert for some sunshine... but haven't done so in a few years. Complicated by two kids in school, I guess. Praying you'll find what works for you. It's good to hear from you, dear friend.

    Hansenclan

    ReplyDelete