There are courses with a closed course time limit and there are courses that are not. Races are open to anyone who can meet the minimum requirement of the course.
I expect, if I can not finish the course in the allotted time, to not be given the finishers medal or the credit toward a harder race; or perhaps, to even be pulled, swept from the course. However, I take exception that ANY plodder can do it.
The writer assumed that someone got off the couch one weekend and decided to go play with the big boys and girls without preparation. There may be a few who do. But there are many who have trained just as hard if not harder for the right to cross the finish line. Some are slow due to weight or injury or disease. But they are out there working to change the consequences of those things. Training may actually be harder for them, than the training of a repeat marathon runner.
Is 13.1 a marathon? No, and I don't pretend it is. But someday 26.2 may be my goal and I will be near the back of the pack. So call me a Plodder. I am following a training plan, a workout plan, and an eating plan. No matter how slow I am, I am still faster than the person still sitting on the couch.
0 - 13.1 in sub 8 years. I can and I will.


No comments:
Post a Comment