As stated earlier this week, climbing the Lincoln Grade was to be a test of whether or not I could start running again. I felt that it was a failure as a test in that it didn't push the impact factor. Today was the impact factor test with the 8 Mile Trial.
I am working through a training plan that is to prepare me to be able to attempt a 1/2 marathon by the end of summer. I have one I am looking at, but may still wait til next year to attempt it. According to the schedule, today is an 8 mile "run" at race pace. The route I chose is part of the Sage Rat 12k Run coming up next month with an out and back , essentially flat with a low slow grade, of 4 miles rather than 8 straight through. (I didn't have a way of getting back to my car and didn't think I would want to walk all the way back.)
For a race pace, it was a most painful slow 8 miles, requiring thought to fueling just because of the time factor if not the distance. The first two miles made me question whether I should continue. The impact pain was present but not the leg weakness that made me fear the leg would buckle if I continued. After the first 2 miles, much of the pain dissipated but if I stopped or slowed too much, it was difficult to get started again. There were three points during the distance I felt a questionable wobble but then stability returned.
As for fuel, Shot Blox Margarita chews with salt, Hammer brand Espresso gels and 1/2 peanut butter sandwiches are on my A team along Nunn electrolyte enhanced water. Because I was over prepared in the fuel department I was never in any danger to bonking, or hitting the wall, however at mile six i was running short on water. It is much drier on this side of the state than what I have been used to for running. At mile 7 I finished the last of my water knowing I had 1/2 a Gatorade and a fresh water source at the end of mile 8. As I hit the stop button on my Garmin and wiped a drop of sweat off my face, i realized I could brush from my skin a coating of salt particles.
Completing this 8 Mile Trial, albeit very slow, slow enough to be last on May 18, I know I can finish the 12k Sage Rat Run. My fear of breaking from a walking stride to a running stride is less, but there is still some apprehension of, will I be doing damage or just overcoming normal pain from previous injury and lack of use.
My time? 1 hour 59 minutes for 8 miles. Some of you can walk faster than that. I may be slow, but I'm faster than the person sitting on the couch. I think I need a shirt that says, "I'm Slow, but I Go!"
i LIKE that shirt! i think you should get it! And you DO go! that's important. 8 miles in two hours is still 4 miles an hour. you just keep going, Girl!!
ReplyDelete