Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lincoln Grade 1st Attempt

Hiking the Lincoln Grade today was to be a test to determine whether or not I could return to running.  The test was both a success and failure.  Successful completion gives me the confidence that I can complete the 15k portion of Sage Rat Dirty Rat on May 19. The test's failure is that it didn't put impact stress on the body parts that are a problem. My route today was 2-1/2 miles out and back.

The weather was perfect. A long sleeve T and my gag you yellow vest were sufficient to the day. Had I hiked any later, the vest would have been shucked.  Starting out I was met with some spring flowers to brighten my thoughts of the climb ahead and remind me to make the camera accessible.

The Lincoln Grade is a steep climb into the Horse Heaven Hills. For the race, there is about a mile that is paved and then, The Sidewalk Ends and it becomes a primitive, graded, graveled road with little traffic. The initial climb is 1000 feet with a descent then another climb on the return.  Here is what the race page says about this course: "The Dirty Rat 15k will be tough. Straight up at the start. The major crux of the Dirty Rat is the 1000 foot climb up Lincoln Grade on Horse Heaven Hills in the first 2.5 miles. Most people walk this area - not you though, your tough. After the climb you will find gradual elevation changes for the remainder of the run through isolated scenic wheat country. Big sky country with room to think. There is a total of 1251 foot elevation gain and 1251 foot elevation decline. The run ends with a 1000 foot drop, down to the finish. Are you worried about your time? Most trail runs have a cut off time. Not ours. We will stay until you finish or are ready for an ambulance ride."

On the way up today's 1122 ft climb I experienced definite ham string tightness and other "aches", but nothing that indicated further injury, more like disuse. My stamina was good; fueling with one Hammer Expresso Gel, 1 PB&H (honey) sandwich, and 1 liter of Nunn enhanced water. An additional 1/2 pint of water was taken on at the conclusion of the hike. By the way, I think Hammer Expresso Gels may be my new favorite for longer sessions.  In my case long is defined by how much effort and time as opposed to distance.

My hydration was a little on the low side but not harmfully so. A little extra water after getting home remedied it. I think for the race I will need the whole 2 liters in my camel pak and perhaps a some shot blox with salt as it will be warmer.

The trip down, all ham string ache disappeared. The only real issue was keeping my footing as the small gravel tried to roll out from under my feet. On one stretch of road this happened twice. It was during one of these occurrences that in scrambling to keep my feet the increased impact "pain" was felt. This tells me that only a test "run" will reveal if I can start up again and the remaining pain is getting back in shape or still injury requiring time.  The fact that I can climb stairs tells me it is on the mend.

I completed the 5 miles in a slow time of 1 hour 56 minutes which included picture taking stops and fiddling with the "feet" on my new walking sticks. The use of these sticks saved my hide on the way down and my knees in both direction.

Conclusion: I can confidently enter the 15k with the idea of "hiking" it instead of running. The test does not prove I can successfully begin training runs for the 12k.

Clicking through the photos in the stack below you can get an idea of the ascent.

1 comment: