Tumamoc Hill is a new piece in my weekly routine; three days a week, an early morning "walk". The hiking guide lists it as easy. That would depend on who you ask. One and a half miles up, one and a half miles down. 730 foot elevation change from bottom to top.
The first two days I walked it with a companion with similar interests. I was told that we would reach a point where there would be no talking due to the exertion. We reached the top in what seemed like no time at all and never stopped sharing on the many topics of our hearts. Time sped.
Today, walking it alone, came thoughts to a life principle. Today the incline seemed grueling. Even before the first turn I caught myself asking, and I am doing this today why? I caught myself excusing a possible early turn around. The hill seemed steeper, breathing seemed harder.
What was different?
The amount of physical energy required to climb the hill had not increased; in fact, perhaps it decreased as there was no energy for talking being expended.
There is a proverb that says "Many hands make for light work." I used to think that was because if many were working on the same task it would get done faster. Now I see that it may be the same amount of work per person rather than one task divided to smaller pieces. And this work when done in community feels lighter and when bumps come each is there for the other.
Ecclesiates 4: 9Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. 10If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. 11Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? 12A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
At the top of the hill my companion of the other days appeared; downhill seemed not long at all.
Love it!
ReplyDeleteGreat Analogy.
ReplyDeleteLoved it! I totally agree companionship is a must when walking "the hill." Always grateful for good friends and conversation.
ReplyDeleteLove this! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteO.A.