I have to confess.
When I saw these I thought they were some sort of bean being grown up these strings. Silly me. Wine and beer country? What else would they be but HOPS. Apparently they twirl themselves one direction only up these strings, and if you don't start them right, they will actually unwind themselves.
Confession is good for the soul. Glad I got that one off my chest.
.
But did you know that ten miles from the Canadian border, north of Bonners Ferry, Elk Mountain Farms grows hops for their parent company Anheuser-Busch. Elk Mountain is the world’s largest hop farm at 1,800 acres. The farm was first planted in 1987 and only traditional German hops are grown there from root stock that originated in Europe. The U.S.-Canadian border is on the same latitude as the prime hop-growing regions of Europe, and gets 16 hours of sunlight in the summer.
ReplyDelete