In today's world of financial craziness, how do you support your hobbies. I read another blog where someone sold things they had to buy what they wanted/needed. I have done that as well. Then you get to a point where there is no longer anything where it would be practical to sell. What other avenues are there.
Barter is one. In a sense, the new job I'm starting is part of the barter/exchange system. No money changes hands but I reap many benefits and it frees cash to take care of other needs/wants. Or trade what you have too much of with someone who has too much of something else.
Look for, or post an ad for, freebies online such as on FreeCycle, or check out your local garage sales. I've seen amazing craft supplies listed for a few of those. Also check Craigslist for items that are for sale, but usually at a significantly reduced cost.
Quit doing something. If you buy one soda a day out of most machines that is about $30 a month. Or if you buy fancy coffee, that can be $2.50-$5 per purchase, times however many per month you buy. That can add a bit to you hobby budget.
Give up something that costs and use a free alternative. I did that recently with my internet service. I can't give it up completely, but I can buy myself some months of not paying for it by putting it on vacation. I love my Verizon air card. I have been able to get online just about anywhere I've wanted to and it has been good service. But, it also costs $60+ per month. The park has free WiFi. It is slower and not always dependable. Consistency is dependent on the number of people drawing on it, or if someone in the park is using a Magic Jack, stealing all the band width. But, it is free.
What can $60 a month buy, a LOT of hobby supplies. Fortunately I have good stock right now. It could put about 20 gallons of fuel in your tank, depending on where you live. That much fuel could drive you to a lot of letterboxes or even just to the store. It could buy many groceries, especially somewhere like WinCo (love that store).
How are you being more frugal these days so you can keep doing the things you love or need? Feel free to post a comment on this topic on how you pull those ends together.
.
you must be addicted to AQ...you're putting buttons at the bottom of your blog...
ReplyDeleteromana
It won't let me put all the buttons I want. Need to work on that.
ReplyDeleteI am a packrat, I buy supplies and then lay them by for another time. These days I am trying to use up some of those old supplies, and not buy anything new. Really, I shouldn't need to buy anything for years to come. I probably will though . . .
ReplyDeleteI stopped shopping at high-priced grocery stores, and have save a substantial amount of money by shopping at WalMart...same brands, lower prices.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we are all tightening our belts, huh? :-/