Faces are a challenge and one way to prod one's skills to a higher level. Here are my attempts and the photos I used for my models. There is a filter in PhotoShop that will convert a photo to a stamp style image making it much easier to carve a simple "black and white" image.
My next attempt will be to make them more photo like with shading.

Thomas Newton Lewis

Beatrice Glenn Swaim-Lewis

Logan, 7th Grandchild of Baqash

What is a spoiler alert. These images have been used as part of Letterbox Trading Card trades. At least one of these is in an upcoming swap. Some people don't want to see the images ahead of time.
.
You are right - portraits are definitely challenging, but do raise your skill level. Instead of using a computer program to give me the details, I just use my pencil and color in what I want to carve, then transfer.
ReplyDelete