even for short periods, reminds me how dependent we are; tied by various umbilical cords. It reminds me of how much waste I create in my day to day life.
The first week of travel I “thought” I was being conservative, but turns out not conservative enough. One day of sun was not enough. Two days of sun brought the batteries up but they still fell into a dangerous zone by night. The third day we moved ¼ mile up the road so the generator could be used. The park we were in had a strict no generator rule because it bothered the permanent residents. The park used to be configured so they had a generator area with limited hours. Those minimal hours make a big difference, that little bit in the am and again at night. If I were to guess, I would say another pair of batteries would make the difference. In AZ the sun is sending more power than the 4 existing batteries can store.
I’ve become more aware of turning off the power to things that are not being used, but can still drain by lights or clocks. The computer that was on nearly 24/7 in Tucson is now consciously turned on to be used, not just “checked” in case something new is there. I’m watching less useless television; going to bed early and rising when the sun comes up. I’m used to being alone, but alone with many electrified distraction. It is different being alone in the quiet. I’m reading more. Playing flutes again more; something I had neglected this past year.
Here there is no Michael’s to run to for a 59 cent piece of paper, nor a market for a whim. I’m consciously eating out of my stores, especially the refrigerator and freezer as I had concern about spoilage. I was turning it off for periods of the day to conserve power when the batteries were getting so low. Now that I can run the generator that is not as much of a concern – though shines a light on that tether to generated power.
However, in doing this, I discovered that while I faithfully clean my bins and cupboards every year (to find out what’s in there and make room for more “stuff”), not so the fridge. I thought broccoli would be tonight’s fare. Then I read the best when used by date… April 2006. What year is this? If I disappear it may be because the refrigerator got me. Hopefully there is nothing else that old lurking in there.
One more thing before closing; today is Miss T’s six months birthday. She is turning out to be a pretty good companion. At first I wasn’t so sure. Constantly busy, busy, busy. Now we can usually go for a comfortable walk and she will lie on the floor next to me while I do other things.
Happy ½ Birthday Miss T … and goodnight.
Love hearing you are getting in touch with things that our normal busy day to day doesn't allow.. and a big Happy 1/2 Birthday Miss T (Wendy In The Eastbay)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're living with solar batteries--I can hardly wait to see you and find out ALL the changes over the last two or so years!
ReplyDeleteM