
Narnia: Aslan is a series of 4 stamps I carved to create a layered ltc (letterbox trading card). After stamping all the cards I sent the stamps, and a log book around the country so other people could have the experience of stamping a layered image. He's back and about to embark on another jaunt to a few more stops. (One can't have empty pages in a logbook can one?)
This was my first attempt at a layered image and it was so successful I've never fully wanted to try another. I have done what is called a Reducton Carve, but that is a little different. With reduction stamps you use only one piece of material. Stamp as many images as you think you are going to need. Cut away a bit, then stamp again. When you are finished, you can never recreate the cards you just made.
Layered images have a separate stamp for each color. In this case there are 4. One is background, two are the colors for the main character, and the last is a sketch image that which gives definition to the colors. If you want to make more later, or change your colors, you can.
In turning the stamps into a postal, I had to include a logbook so those he visits can log in their experience. On the backs of the pages are quotes from various Chronicles of Narnia books all describing different aspects of Aslan. A postal is about the logbook as much as it is the stamp.
Aslan has made 18 visits and will embark Monday for more. When he comes home, I'm thinking about making him a 4 traditional series. The finder will need to find each stamp in order to build the image. hmmm. I'm thinking I like this idea.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment