What is a miracle?
Two dictionary definitions are:
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
Is it something that has to be instantaneous? What triggers miracles to happen? Who gets picked? Do you ever wonder about these things? Or, am I more than a bubble off center today. Actually this is a topic that I go round the mountain about every few years. The question isn't if there is a G-d. In my belief system there is a G-d and I'm not G-d. But from there, how much G-d is directly involved is where it starts to fall apart. Most of the time my position is that life happens. There is a natural order to things and there is cause and effect. G-d doesn't work on the individual level to cause events, but events can be turned and used for the good.
Most people look at my life and call who I am physically today a miracle. I struggle with this. It didn't happen over night. I don't remember asking for it. I made choices that led to opportunities that may have allowed my body to heal. But where did those odd thoughts come from that led to those choices. It is not "complete" as I am learning here in Washington. The 300 days of sunshine I was told to expect isn't happening and my pain level has risen leading to some other issues. The weather is causing me to question being here. I expected it for the winter and had decided to accept it. I'm finding it harder to accept it this soon in the year and for what may be this long... but that is a different issue. the fact is, I was in a wheelchair, today I am not however that came to be. This fit with my world view on miracles and how G-d works in lives.
But then recently, some odd little events have happened. One, coincidence. Two maybe still. Three or four, and I had to sit up and pay attention.
A few weeks ago I found a pair of mid-hi top hiking tennis shoes on a give away table at the Escapee park where I was staying. They were clean but I washed and sanitized them anyway, and started alternating them with my other pair of regular hiking tennis shoes. Seemed extravagant to have two pair when space is at a premium. But they fit and I liked the higher top for ankle support. Yesterday I noticed several of the seams not holding up on my old shoes.
With my income more limited I've decided to take some of the shorter jaunts w/o my motorhome. Rather than pay for a motel room just to sleep, I plan to sleep in my car but didn't have a sleeping bag. I posted for a clean bag on Freecycle. I received a response. The good news was it was in the town I'm in and not 4o miles away. The better news: Today I went to pick it up. Not only one, but two, like new bags. The first a Suisse lightweight fiberfill, great for keeping in the car. The second, a heavy flannel lined bag that when opened fits my bed like a comforter. I've been concerned about having enough bedding for warmth this coming winter. Both needs, car and bed, were met by one post and with style not a torn up cast off.
Also along the line of concern for warmth was was considering a heated bed pad but they can be pricey (like the sleeping bags above). Last night I attended a new to me study group and met several new people. One invited me to their place for dinner after. In casual discussion I mentioned I was considering one of these. They had recently acquired a new to them bed that came with the same pad I was looking at. It is on my bed being put through test mode to see if it still works.
What can I say to these little things. This is not standard in the course of my life.
And lastly (for today) and yet what I am most excited about.
As you know I recently moved to a very small and rural community with other very small and rural communities around it.
Did I happen to mention that these communities are very SMALL? One of my concerns has been finding the kind of support systems and "institutions" I want/ need i.e. good library, church etc.
I am so EXCITED. In the middle of nowheresville I have found what appears to be an incredibly awesome church. It is not even the services as much as what goes on in at least one of the smaller groups, which I attended last night.
If the description of my trail/screen name in the right sidebar hasn't clued you in, I don't generally stay on the surface of things that interest me. One of my frustrations with many of the study groups in which I have participated in the past is that they stay too close to the surface. Often, a more probing question brings looks of, well, ... "You really do have two heads, you know". Or, someone stands up in front and "teaches" but there isn't a lot of give and take to allow one to really wrestle with the concepts. Likewise, I have taken seminary classes which were intellectually stimulating, but left me lacking in the area of relationship; relationship with G-d and with other human beings.
Last night was an intensive. It started with a basic piece of information. But then questions are asked about, "What do you think about that information? Why do you think that way? How does it align with what you learned? What would it take to either change your mind or affirm in your mind what you learned?" The goal is to get people to articulate what they really think, believe and why; not only with a teacher, but with each other. We may all come back around to agreeing with the original premise, but there is no longer doubt about why or why not. Not a single person sat back and just observed. It felt like..... The only way I know to describe it is from a scene in the 1983 movie Yentl. She has successfully infiltrated the Yeshiva and thrives on the living give and take debate, where each argues a point from what they know and what they have studied. Something that was missing has been found.
Okay, maybe this is all a little over the top for you. Maybe it seems this has drifted far afield of the topic of origin. But has it? What is a miracle?
.
Your miracles are easy to explain when you consider that the universe is beneficient, that love and well-being are the order of the day and are constantly flowing to you, if you don't resist them. You had a desire (warmth, a heated mattress pad), you didn't resist your desire (a heated mattress pad is an impossible dream), and the universe lined you up with your desire.
ReplyDeleteEven though you probably had dark days when you were in the wheelchair, you also probably never gave up hope that you would walk again. When hoping to walk became the expectation that you would walk, you walked. You do create your experience, I believe that.
Well, it's true that I don't dig too deep, but I would surely thank the Lord for His provision!
ReplyDeleteI thank Him for providing for you.
Blessings,
hansenclan