Monday, June 8, 2009

Last Leg


I have a wonderful new project to work on. One of the LTC swaps I'm in is book plates: Ex Libris (no adult themes). A letterboxing artiste and friend was kind enough to design one especially for me. Now I get to tackle carving it. The detail of it will be challenging and help me stretch out of my comfort zone. I think if I refrigerate my normal carving medium between workings, I can get the detail w/o having to use the harder stuff that frustrates the dickens out of me. I'm excited to start this. But alas, it must wait until the next destination is reached. No spoilers will be posted, sorry.

Still one last leg to go on this journey and it begins tomorrow bright and early. Meandering from Port Orchard to Prosser should only be 1/2 day but I can see it taking all day or even two days. Mapped out 3 or 4 boxes to stop for along the way. I think I'm ready to be parked for awhile and get some bland routine back into life for a bit. I have learned that I enjoy a lot of solitude peppered with tag-you're-it visits with the people I care about. At least by being in the same state, those short visits will be easier and more often. When you have to travel 2000 miles you want to get your "money's worth" but too long is not healthy. (I'm not saying anything the kids and I haven't talked about so it is safe for print.)

In Prosser I'll be 7 miles from my son and 3 1/2 hours from my daughter. Close enough to make family happenings without feeling like I'm moving in. Far enough for us all to have our own lives. And so, the experiment of this next stage of my life begins.

I may keep the blog up erratically as random interesting things come along. So keep the book mark. Who knows what may come along. Where's that SE Washington trail map?

6 comments:

  1. I eagerly await your carving success, my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the climate and/or elevation affecting you, Baqash? Doin' okay? I don't think I travel as well as you, so I wouldn't be able to handle such a long trip, but what a lovely trip you've made of it! (My problem isn't distance, it's length of time. After all, we drive to OR every summer to visit my family... but the entire trip is just about two weeks, not two months!) I do hope you keep the blog up, as I've really enjoyed it. I like the picture of you and your motor home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... forgot to sign my name.

    That was me: Hansenclan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture... safe travels on your last venture! Wendy In the Eastbay

    ReplyDelete
  5. your living plans sound like a good sensible plan...best wishes.......

    also---I'm very interested in your new carving project and hope to see the end result someday :o) gotta remember that hint about refrigerating the carving medium.....

    Queen Mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queen Mother, I do believe there is room in Ex Libris Group Two if you would like to join.

    When you live where it is hot more often than cool, the white can get pretty soft like the pink. I found it frustrating but didn't like the orange. Aha,,, jello in the fridge. why not pz.

    ReplyDelete