Friday, June 12, 2009

Why I No Longer Take Psych Meds of Any Sort

A friend of mine in a private virtual community wrote an article worthy of perusal if you or someone you care about is taking or considering psychiatric meds. Entitled The Truth About Weaning off Anti-Depressant and Anti-Anxiety Drugs, Dan shares science, news, and personal experience. There are three videos embedded in the article and each has value added to the article.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Protracted-Withdrawal-The-Truth-about-Weaning-off-Anti-depressant-and-Anti-anxiety-Drugs

I've been on the nutritional path for two years now. It has been hard and sometimes the easy way out is appealing. Then I see something like this article or talk with someone struggling worse than I am or realize that sometimes life is just hard, and I continue on and look for ways to continue to support my nervous system.

Just one of these ways is the diet I eat and drink. Just one of the issues in my diet is diet cola. We frequently hear, "cut out sugar and caffeine," but how many are willing to do it. If I were in a recovery program for these two items, I would be constantly "falling off the wagon", "slipping" (sobriety lost its priority). Why? Because the consequences aren't immediate and sometimes I just don't want to.

What are my personal consequences of just one item, diet cola?
I have to have it.
Headaches
My face breaks out
My feet and ankles swell
Weight gain (even with diet)
When I don't get it I go through withdrawals

So why do I do this to myself, because I like it. I like the cold bubblies and the lift it gives me that a cuppa coffee doesn't. I use it like a drug.

Truth is, I am physically and mentally healthier without it. If I really want health without drugs, this too must go.

Baqash, who once again has gone off on a rabbit trail.

Here is the address again to the article that started this conversation.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Protracted-Withdrawal-The-Truth-about-Weaning-off-Anti-depressant-and-Anti-anxiety-Drugs

Or, click the title of this submission


.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! This year, we've been experimenting in the classroom, as it were, and finding some success in helping my ADHD and ADD kids FOCUS better with caffeine in their systems! To that end, they drink half a PepsiOne (all the caffeine, but neither sugar nor Nutrasweet) before they leave for school in the morning. At noon time, each has a full can in their lunch. Their teachers say it helps! (My husband was on Ritalin as a child, and was determined our kids wouldn't be.)

    Blessings,

    hansenclan

    ReplyDelete