Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Expectations - The Physical

Sometimes I hear myself say, I am going into this new episode of life with no expectations, only to find out there were expectations. For all the good intentions it is truly hard to have none. In spite of the magnificent weather for this time of year in western Washington, western Washington has been hard on me and I sense it progressively taking a toll. Fortunately, by this time next week I will be over the mountain and into the desert of the Pacific Northwest. (Yes, Virginia, there is a desert in Washington.)

Even as I write those words I realize that there is a certain amount of expectation when I say I hope or anticipate things will be better on the other side of the mountains. It is much drier but Prosser, WA is about 1750 feet LOWER in elevation than Tucson. Yep, Tucson is stated by one website to be at 2,389 feet. How much difference will that make? I did not do well in Ukiah, CA which was near the same elevation as Prosser, but seems to have more volatile weather patterns. It will be a wait and see.

So what if… that is always an interesting game to play. One possible answer it to decide before July 28 and renew my yearly space in Tucson. That one is not high on my list right now. I would really like to see other parts of the country and paying for a yearly space financially locks me into to returning there. Where would I go if I didn’t go back to Tucson? I don’t know. That is a decision I haven’t really had to make in 5 years. Having to come up with a life affecting Plan B can really strain the brain. I suppose one option would be to go back to the wheelchair life I had before, NOT! I’ll move back to what worked before first, if that will make the difference.

But I get ahead of myself. First, let Prosser prove itself. Then concern myself if another plan B is needed.

Besides, there are always The Slabs .
I've never been to The Slabs.

Slab City by Desert Dutch
Roadside America

4 comments:

  1. I promise that Washington weather is not normally this hot and humid - especially not so early in the year! ;o)

    ~HPL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Slab city sounds like a very colorful and interesting place. Think it may have been profiled on TV before. "D"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "D" I believe it has and/or in magazines. I've met people who go there.

    "~HPL" Not the heat as much as the pressure, though humidity does make a difference. It may be 100 degrees in Tucson for 100 days in a row, but it is a DRRRYYYYYY heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! We have a "Slab City" here in WI...maybe she WILL travel here! They have the famous bed races there. I have attended. What is really funny is that now we have bed races here in my town too....neverthought I would see the day.

    ReplyDelete