I watched the film, The Passion of Christ, for the first time last night. I doubt I could watch it again. I don't see how anyone can watch it without seeing and feeling and then just walk away. In the distance of time we have sanitized the crucifixion and what it meant to the point of impotence.Once, I asked a friend and mentor how he came to have such love for Jesus. With tears he responded, "By staring for hours at the cross." I understood intellectually what he said. I could recognize that it had deep deep impact on his heart. However, as long as I have believed and as much as I have read, there was still something missing in my understanding. Now I think I understand, a little.
Powerful movie, huh? I had to turn my head away for a good portion of the scourging.
ReplyDeleteWhat a price He paid for the sin of the world - more than we can even understand.