Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Central Valley, CA



Have arrived in the Central Valley. Spent the morning local letterboxing, but there is a box about 2 hours away that is really calling my name. I wonder if I could find it in the dark? Or maybe, I could get up in the dark, run up to find it and still get to the Redwoods on schedule. Decisions, decisions. The box hasn't had many finders which is what is making it so appealing.

One of the boxes I found today was at "The End of the Trail." Visalia was home to the original The End of the Trail statue by James Earle Fraser from 1920 to 1968. The city acquired it when they found that the famous statue was being discarded by San Francisco city officials after having no means to display it once the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition was over. Today the original statue is at the National Cowboy & Western Museum in Oklahoma City, OK. Before it was moved for good, a true-to-scale bronze replica was made and placed near the same spot in Mooney's Grove Park where the original had stood for 48 years.

My daughter's friends don't understand this method of travel. They want to know how it can take 2 months to travel what should be no more than a week. I want to see where I'm going. I want to do things along the way and see people. That takes time. Besides, then y'all wouldn't have so many interesting (or not) things to read about on this page.

hmmm what will Baqash, the seeker, choose to do. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly understand your method of travel. 25 miles can be a good days travel when there is so much to see and do. I like the blue highways myself and I would say your a blue highway traveler too. Have fun. BTW there is quite a few boxes in the area of my home in Oregon. One in the town where my house is (Elgin) one near in La Grande and both at places I've been. Who woulda thunk it. Listed in North Eastern Oregon Also close by is Wallowa County and Joseph a must see place. "D"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the statue. When I drove from NYS moving to CA almost 8 years ago, I kept seeing these beautiful pottery pieces depicting the above photo and at the time I never did buy one. There were odd colored skies -- turqoise, blues, mauves, etc. The last pots I remember seeing was on Rt. 40 as we were leaving New Mexico and heading into AZ. We had poked along that day and the sun was about to set as we were driving in the desert area heading for stop for the night at Flagstaff heading the next day to the Grand Canyon. Not sure the area we actually pulled of the road, but desert area. As the sun starting setting, the mountain range became a black background. The mid November skies started turning into those gorgeous colors of turquoise, blues, mauves and many other colors. (light bulb came on)... an Ah Ha moment. These were the skies that were so cleverly painted on the pottery pieces that I did NOT buy. From then on into CA, I looked at every stop to checking for these lovelies, to no avail. They are etched, as the sunset from that day, forever in my mind even if I don't have a pottery piece to gaze at!

    Thank you for posting that great picture and bringing back that lovely memory!

    Safe travels,
    Wendy In The Eastbay

    ReplyDelete