Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reader's Digest Version

Because you asked...

1993 - Kicked in the back of the head and neck in a martial arts sparring class. Cleaned my clock. Vague symptoms and balance issues began to surface.

1994 - Fell down a steep flight of stars. Previous issues worsened, new ones appeared. Nothing specific that any MD could nail down in our small town. Could fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. Drive for an hour, then need sleep for two. Sleeping was not an option, these were more like sleep attacks or perhaps narcolepsy. That trip from Mendocino to Orange County (required trip, father in hospital) was scary. Flew my daughter down to drive home.

1998 - Have continued to have increasing issues. Finally, after falling for no reason (not dizzy, didn't trip), someone orders an MRI. Spinal cord is compressed. Apparently increasingly so. The first surgery was done on an emergency basis and 4 months off from work. While in the neck brace all seemed well. As soon as that "traction" of the brace was removed, problems started again. In the end there were four surgeries and a boatload of other treatments, for all the new issues I had; constant pain, spastic quadra-paresis, undependable balance and leg usage, poor bowel and bladder control, plus the side effects of all the drugs being tried. The cure caused more ill.

2004, January - Prognosis is steady, slow deterioration. I'm living in a gov't subsidized, senior, handicapped apartment. 80% of waking time in a wheelchair. Less and less mobility. More and more pain affected especially by pressure changes. World growing smaller and smaller. I make a decision. I will get a trailer and do what I can until I can't do it any more. Part of that resolve is to do as much as I can for myself and only ask for help when it is clear I can not do the task. Towing trailer with a handicapped equipped van with wheel chair lift for power chair, hand controls, transfer driver's seat, etc.

2004, March - the adventure begins. The extra physical activity, but done on my terms seems helpful.

2004, June - I arrive Tucson, Arizona for what was to be a week. My cousin dies of an unknown illness. Help make arrangements and bring in family members to help. It becomes apparent my dad and his wife (my dad married his oldest brother's widow after my mother died, so she is my aunt) are declining rapidly and can not be left w/o someone checking on them. They are 87 and 90 at this point. W/in three months both have passed after daily doctor and hospital trips. My dad died because it was his time. My aunt died because she gave up after my dad died; she had outlived three husbands and both her children. These events required I stay in Tucson for about 9 months.

2005, Spring - I leave Tucson. As I do I realize that in spite of all the trauma of deaths and settling estates that I have less pain and more physical mobility. I conclude it is the drier climate with fewer barometer changes and determine to return for the following winter. And I did.

2006, Spring - I have wintered again in Tucson and again note more mobility. In the meantime I have left off many of the medications and given up alcohol. I went to work in Yellowstone and discovered I was still susceptible to pressure changes (both weather and altitude changes) and left after 6 weeks, returning to Tucson depressed.

2007 - Again noting improved mobility, my emotional state is poor. Seek treatment and made worse by poor case management. In the meantime take up a new hobby that helps to ameliorate the symptoms; playing and creating Native American style flutes. That fall I seek alternatives to medications and hit on a nutritional plan that seems to work.

2008 - Continued improvement in all arenas. Learn about and begin letterboxing. Walking distances is still limited and with support. Gradually extend those "hikes" and soon discover I am walking w/o aid of cane or crutch and up to a mile. Still spending 8 months of the year in Tucson.

During this visit with the kids we realize the MD's prognosis has been opposite of that stated. Assisted living is not in my near future and a plan B needs to be put into effect. We somewhat decide as a group the spring 2009 I will move my base to be nearer the kids and grand kids. The peninsula won't work because of the climate so opt for the SE Washington desert.

2009, Spring - The journey of this move is where we are now. The success or failure of the change is yet to be determined. This week I am in a climate where my pain level is higher, but because of the years of increasing mobility I am not debilitated by it for this short time.

When this stage of my life began, remember where I was. The week before I left Tucson this trip, I walked a 10k (6.4 mile, 3.2 in and 3.2 out not counting getting lost) letterboxing hike, finding all but one of the 11 boxes on the trail.

I am grateful and in one sense born again to a new life. It is a much simpler life than the one before accidents. It is one where I can withdraw when necessary to maintain my physical and mental health. This week at the lake is about midpoint of my journey, a time of regrouping to move into the rest of the journey and my new life in a different part of the country.

Post Script  ~ August 2013.  0 - 13.1 in sub 8 years.  On my 62nd birthday, in SE I ran my first 1/2 marathon distance; a feat I hope to repeat in an official venue September 21, 2013.(  And I did)

PPS ~ Signed for a full marathon 4/2015. Watch this space for results
Finished 6:15:19 in spite of having to walk the last 6 miles.
Yowza.


11 comments:

  1. It is funny how when you see it written in print how real it was. we lived it, and it seemed like a bad dream now. You have always pulled yourself up by the but straps and trudged forward. I am proud of you, I am proud to have you as my mother.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story and what a wonderful, loving, tear welling comment made by your daughter. You both should be proud of each other as I'm sure you are!

    I feel for your discomfort at your current location. I cannot tolerate Eureka very well and you are nearing that dampness that seeps into all the bones. At least it is not currently raining!

    Safe travels and thank you for the overview.
    Wendy In The Eastbay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh at my daughter. Sometimes it did feel like "but" straps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKOKOKOKOKOKOK
    You know that proofing is not my strong suit.
    That is why you were the english teacher not me. "BOOT"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing story, Baqash! God is good, is He not? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes indeed, God is good. But God is still good even if I had not had such an amazing recovery. His goodness would just be revealed in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you posted this, my friend...incredible! You have my admiration and respect, to be sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN!!! Thank you for sharing your journey.

    hansenclan

    p.s. (I was fighting the urge to comment on the "but straps" -- the urge subsided when I saw it addressed. Praying the weather will cooperate with your needs, and/or that it will cease to affect you in the ways it has in the past.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. tttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are to be commended on your perseverance, many would have given up with just half of what you have been through, you are a great role model and a hero in my eyes. "D"

    ReplyDelete