Today I opted to go to Montgomery Woods. It is another place I had never been to in the time I lived here. I was either too busy or too disabled. Below are a few few photos, but the best photo is the the one I didn't take. I'm cruising up the road to the woods. It's early, not many cars out. I come around the bend and see a doe bound up the steep hillside. Then in my rear view, I catch the sequel. A very young fawn, my cat almost seems bigger, was trying to follow its mother up the hill. It would get up a few feet and then slide back down. Then it would try again. Again it would slide back down. I stopped to watch. Mother came down and tried to nudge it up the hill a bit with her nose. Then bounded back up the hill again. two more times the baby tried. You could see in the mother's body language she was trying to encourage her youngling. The next time it got further than it ever had. It looked as if it would slide back down again. The mother's neck was stretched out and the baby kept the delicate purchase it had on the hillside and inched its way up and disappeared into the woods. My first thought was to try and help. Fortunately good sense followed. How would my "helping" have affected the future of that baby. Like helping a butterfly out of its cocoon, I think it would have been more harm.Montgomery Woods has burned. It burned severely many years ago, and last year they thought they would lose it to fire. Many of the public areas had been closed and only recently reopened.
One of the things that is startling to my senses is all the different colors of green and woods. After so many years in the desert, I don't think I realized how much the same all the colors were. It is almost a visual overload.

beautiful pictures, I am sitting under a tree in a campgound in Albequrque, waiting for my truck to get fixed, the sun is bright on the screen but the first picture looks like a big sleeping giant playing with a little child or maybe I just can't see it to good. If your not taking the western route through Oregon and decide to take the eastern route don't forget my offer to park at my house is always open. Plus there is letterboxes buried around there as I said before. Take care "D'
ReplyDeletePretty amazing deer story! Aren't you glad you were able to stop and watch that exchange? Right place at the right time.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos; reminds me of L&B.
Oops - forgot to sign!
ReplyDeleteBL47